Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm restoring a fiberglass boat....

...and am severely allergic to fiberglass. WTF! It's pissin' me off.

My arms got all hivey so I went to the doctor. He gave me a round of steroids and daily Zyrtec. The steroids wiped them out! Yay! So this weekend I took some better precautions and did not get anywhere near the boat without long sleeves. I guess the the gap in the cuffs on my shirt let some in, cause after doing some minor fiberglassing this weekend...BAM!!! I'm all hivey again. It's my new word, hivey. It means all eat up with hives. Did I mention it was pissin' me off? I mean, WTF am I supposed to do now? Ahhhh! I have all this time and money and dreams invested in the sailboat I'm restoring. Ahhhhh!

I researched and Dupont makes a Tyvek suit that is supposed to keep it off your skin, but at this point I believe I've coated my entire hometown in fiberglass dust, thereby making me allergic to Minden. I think I will move to Florida soon and think about a wooden boat, or perhaps figure out a way to afford a fiberglass one that doesn't need a lot of work.

In the meantime, I have 2 Tyvek suits. If this allergy persists and the Tyvek suit doesn't work well enough, I believe I am up shit creek without a paddle, in a sinking boat without a bilge pump...

1 comment:

Travis and Maggie said...

I have heard it said that working on a wooden boat is "a labor of love", but I have often thought it more true of a fiberglass boat. The hives suck!!! Get a good tyvek suit with a hood. That'll help.