Friday, January 18, 2008

Said what?




Bush announces $145 billion stimulus package for economy



While some extra money in my pocket sounds good, I have two questions:

How are we going to pay for this?

By the time it's all passed and the check is in the mail, will it even help?


The idea of this is to give Americans some disposable income so that we'll all go out and spend it on stuff that will stimulate the economy. Honestly, if I am given $300-$800 as a tax break, I plan to spend it on paying off current debts and/or bills. Of course, if I were a more responsible person I would put it into savings. I think the last thing I'd do with it is blow it on the kinds of thing Bush wants me to. Frivolous spending will just make things worse. Most of the things people will buy aren't even made here in America but in China. And of course the old dollar ain't worth what it used to be. As of January 18, 2008 at 07:36:23 PM GMT our outstanding national debt is $9,193,056,221,748.94. Granted that a large percentage of this (about 40%)is owed by the government to the government. I dunno, this whole thing seems counterproductive to me, unless that check gets here really, really soon, and people don't spend it all on cheap Chinese crap. Otherwise it's stimulating an economy, just not ours.

My 2 cents (which is about what a dollar is worth these days)